Last updated: November 7 2014
- Stile’s privacy procedures are in line with the Australian Privacy Principles.
- We collect and store a range of data about you, both directly (for example, when you provide it to us via a website or at a conference) and indirectly (that is, records on how you interacted with our website, for example when you clicked a button).
- We don’t use your data for any purpose other than to provide you with the Stile service, or to provide you with pertinent updates.
- We take all reasonable steps to ensure the security and integrity of your personal data.
- We don’t access the data we store on your behalf without your explicit permission.
What information we collect
Stile collects several types of information about people who interact with us, both offline and online.
If you write to us via email or one of our contact forms, for example when asking for assistance or making a sales enquiry, we’ll keep a record of that correspondence for future reference. The same applies to when you fill out one of our surveys or competition entry forms.
Interacting with Stile
Upon account activation, we request that you provide your school name as well as your email address, full name and password. We also usually request the contact details of a number of staff at your school, such as of your accounts department and I.T. support staff. We ask for this information so that we can personalise your account, better assist you using Stile, and communicate to you about important Stile updates.
Information we collect on your behalf
Stile provides a flexible interface for schools to collect a range of information, such as files, text, photos, videos and much more, from their students. As we are not specifically aware of the nature of this information, we treat it as personal.
Anonymous student accounts
Stile doesn’t require your students’ real names to operate, though we believe it makes life easier for teachers! You have the option of entering pseudonyms for your students instead of their real names if you wish. Some customers provide their students with aliased numeric or random email addresses for use with online services, avoiding the need to store identifying information about them.
Indirect collection of information
Aside from the information you directly provide, we also collect information about how teachers and students interact with us, which we refer to as ‘metadata’. For example, we collect and store information about when you click certain buttons or how far you scroll on a page – something that is increasingly common with modern websites.
Collection of metadata is undertaken for two reasons:
- To learn more about how our users interact with Stile, as part of our continued efforts to improve user experience.
- To calculate interesting information about learners, such as the time taken to complete a particular question within an activity.
A word on auto-saving
Through the use of our auto-saving technology, information is often collected before you submit a form or page on the Stile website. Put simply, if you’ve typed something into Stile, you should assume it has been immediately sent to our servers.
Use and disclosure of your personal information
Your privacy is of utmost importance to us, and as a company we spend a great deal of time and effort ensuring that your data is kept safe and secure.
The data you provide us is yours. We don’t claim any ownership of it whatsoever. We do not use this data for any purpose other than to provide you with the Stile service. We do not use your data to build a profile on you to sell to others, or to target advertising to you now or in the future. If you choose to close your account with Stile we will no longer use your data.
We will not access the data or files you store with us unless you ask us to (usually in connection with a support enquiry) or if we’ve got reason to believe we need to do so to investigate or prevent a violation of our terms of service.
Access to data within a school
We provide extensive controls to allow schools to manage who can access the information stored on behalf of that school. Such information includes instructions, questions, student work, student results, comments teachers have entered about students, and so on. Accordingly, your data may be accessible to other users at your school.
Access to data between schools
Stile is designed to keep each school’s data completely isolated. We do not disclose school-specific data (such as content, student work, student results etc.) across schools even if, as a Stile user, you are a member of more than one. However, if you accept an invitation to join another school’s Stile account we will disclose your full name to that school.
From time to time we’ll send you important updates about our services. We try and keep these to a minimum, while still providing you with the information you need or would probably want to know. We always give you the ability to unsubscribe from product update emails.
We never send email marketing to student email addresses.
Legal disclosure of your data
We won’t provide law enforcement authorities with access to your data unless a court order requires us to do so. We’ll always let you know if an authority does make such a request, unless we’re legally prevented from doing so.
How and where we store your information
Your data is securely stored within Australia.
Stile is securely hosted in the Amazon Web Services facility in Sydney, Australia. This is a state-of-the-art datacenter that has been independently accredited as compliant with the Australian Government’s criteria for information security. As you would expect, the physical security of servers and other infrastructure is tightly controlled according to industry best practice.
In addition to a strong security focus, this datacenter has also designed to be resilient to failure, featuring multiple separate power supply systems, independent network links and a range of other measures to ensure servers are always available.
Stile employs industry best practice to secure your data and prevent access by unauthorised parties. For example:
- All network communication between Stile and your web browser is encrypted.
- Sensitive information such as passwords is only stored in an encrypted form.
- A sophisticated access control system is built into the core of Stile that manages the security of each piece of data you provide us, ensuring that only those who have been nominated can access it.
- Only specific Stile staff members are able to gain access to the data we store on your behalf, and all such access is automatically logged. These security logs are regularly audited to ensure the customer provided explicit permission for this access to occur.
- We log all actions performed on Stile by user and IP address allowing us to track down unauthorised access for as long as our logs are kept.
Deleting data from Stile
You may request the complete deletion of all associated data from Stile upon account closure. Data will be deleted from our live systems as soon as practical, through may persist for a reasonable period of time in backups. Note that this data removal includes all data you or your teachers and students have uploaded or provided to Stile that we’ve managed on your behalf, but not our account-keeping records on you, which we’ll keep for future reference.
Requesting a full copy of your data
You may request a full copy of the data associated with your school’s Stile account. Please write to email@example.com and we’ll provide it to you as soon as possible.
How you can contact us
If you have any privacy related issues or queries please address them to the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be in touch as soon as practical to address your concerns.
Stile is a product of Stile Education Pty Ltd.
Stile Education Pty. Ltd.
585 Victoria Street, Abbotsford
Victoria 3067 Australia