We’re a small, tight-knit team passionate about giving kids a great science education. We build an interactive, online science resource that takes advantage of the latest pedagogical techniques and shows students how important science is to their lives, no matter what career they may end up pursuing. We believe that by improving scientific literacy in the community, we can make a big difference on a global scale.
We’re looking for someone to fill a polyglot engineering role including data science, automation and support engineering: we need your help to design and implement our next generation of intelligent, reliable internal business processes!
We’re interested in candidates with varying levels of experience from entry-level to mid-level. This is a great opportunity to try a bunch of different roles, with the option of specialising in a year or two.
We believe that building great internal systems is vital to the health of a company, and so we build them like we build anything: with good solid engineering. This is an awesome opportunity to work as part of a top-rate engineering team, while at the same time having a customer-facing requirements-to-delivery role.
About the job
What will you be doing day-to-day as a Business Systems Engineer at Stile?
- The wider team at Stile will be your primary customers. You’ll be gathering requirements and designing elegant software solutions. Trust us, you’ll be the most popular person in the office.
- Answer interesting analytical questions using a wealth of data, SQL, basic statistics and any other tool you choose.
- Liaise with school IT departments and help them to integrate their directory and learning management systems with Stile.
- We craft all of our software in-house, so expect to be working very closely with our internal engineering team.
- You’re going to become an expert on how Stile works, and how to extract the data that’s inside of Stile. You’ll be working closely with the engineering team to build business intelligence tools to ensure the organisation has the data it needs to make great decisions (again, making you really popular).
- Build automations for business processes that we do manually right now. We love doing things manually at first - they’re easier to tweak - but once we understand them, we love code even more.
- You’ll be in charge of many internal IT systems.
- Uphold our quality standards through automated testing, code reviews, debugging, and debating with your new team members about the Right Way™ to do things.
- Work closely with other internal teams and customers to deeply understand their needs and craft solutions.
- Use leading-edge technologies, like modern TypeScript, AWS, React, Ruby, etc.
- You love helping to solve other people’s problems.
- You’re a quick study - you’re able to learn about new software and systems quickly and make them do something useful.
- You’re cleverly lazy: you love automating anything you’d otherwise be doing by hand, and you can usually string together the right bits to make it work reliably.
- You love learning about lots of different things and are willing to give anything a go.
- You might have a CS/engineering degree, or might have taught yourself the bits that matter. You know how to string together a (Make/Rake)file and how to write a unit-test.
- You understand basic statistics, can plot a linear regression, and can work out how to apply a significance test. SQL and Excel expertise a bonus, but not required.
- When you have an opinion, you’re not shy about voicing it.
- You’re comfortable exploring a problem and finding a good solution by yourself. We work together closely as a team, but you’ll have the opportunity to take the lead on many projects.
- You get things done.
The job is flexible
While we think collaboration in an office environment is an important part of coordinating and sharing knowledge, we also appreciate that working from home or away from the office offers both time to really concentrate, and the flexibility needed in modern life. Need to pick up the kids? No worries - we’re all about what you achieve, not the hours of the day in which you achieve it.
Working at Stile
We invest in our people. Great people in a great environment can achieve some pretty amazing things.
Some of what we offer:
- A friendly, fun and reasonably informal team environment.
- Flexibility with leave and with working hours.
- A modern office in the heart of Abbotsford.
- Fully stocked kitchen, a home cooked lunch every week, chillout areas, a kickass sound system for after-work events and unlimited coffee
- A commitment to training and self-improvement. All staff at Stile are actively encouraged to attend and speak at conferences.
- Generous salary commensurate with your ability and experience.